Monday, July 23, 2007

Red Hook Ball Fields

I finally got the chance to try some of the offerings at Red Hook Ballfields a few weeks ago, when Jia (chinese school friend/fellow food enthusiast) was in town. There was so much to choose from - tacos, quesadillas, empanadas, ceviche, tamales, roasted corn, papusas, fresh fruit, freshly squeezed fruit juices...I didn't know what to eat first! After wandering out in a salivating daze for about ten minutes, I decided on a bean and cheese papusa. The dough was chewy interspersed with a few chewy crispy bits. The bean and cheese filling was salty and soft - a perfect consistency.


To wash down all the salty goodness of the papusa, taco and empanada, I bought a fresh watermelon juice from the vendor selling the roasted corn and fruit juices. There's a lot of talk on the internet about all the great food available at the ballfields, but how come nobody ever talks about the fruit juices? I don't know if it was because I was really thirsty and sweaty, but I swear that watermelon juice was the best drink i've ever had. It was refreshing and slightly sweet, without being too sweet. I could have had another two cups of the juice, but I was already on the verge of bursting. Anyway, I would back just to get the juice.


I might have been very full, but I still had enough room in my belly for a roasted corn on a stick. It was a little bit shocking to see the cook scoop a gigantic chunk of mayo out of a Costco sized mayonnaise jar and slather it on the roasted corn, but oh well. The cook then rolled the stick of corn in a large box filled with cheese (parmesan i think?) The corn was juicy, the cheese was crumbly and salty and even the mayo didn't taste bad. Cafe Habana can suck it.

The food stalls at the Red Hook Ballfields are open on Saturdays and Sundays through October. Go and get some delicious and cheap Mexican, El Salvadorian and Ecuadorian food.

1 comment:

  1. dude...that corn on the cob soaked w/ butter & parmesan was surprisingly good! It's like popcorn ...pre-pop!

    ReplyDelete