Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Caracas Arepas



So I've been hearing lots of good things about Caracas Arepa Bar in the East Village, so i decided to try it tonight, before my GMAT class. Overall opinion: overrated. I had the Reina Pepiada arepa (chicken mixed with avocado, tomato and cilantro) and the La Jardinera (grilled eggplant, sundried tomatoes and cheese.) Arepas are similar to empanadas - meat or veggie fillings stuffed inside a fried dough made out of corn flour. Both the arepas were relatively tasty, but i was expecting something much more exciting. Another variation of meat wrapped in dough...boohoo...the Chinese have been doing it for centuries...and doing it better! The arepas reminded me the the chinese mantou (steamed bun) stuffed with pork shoulder, cilantro, veggies and sauce. It's a little round pile of heaven. The bings at Province in Tribeca/Chinatown are really good and cheap...too bad it's such a pain in the ass to get over there, otherwise I'd eat there a lot more often. Maybe I should try a few more arepas and make a final decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment