Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

This is my second ever rhubarb dessert and it was much better than my first try. I got two stalks of rhubarb in my csa share a few weeks ago and I used it to bake a rhubarb and chocolate cake...which was ok but too dense...it looked like one large thick cookie. I definitely preferred the rhubarb/fruit combination over rhubarb with chocolate. I adopted this recipe from Simply Recipes and it came out really well...it was a bit on the tart side, so next time i increase the proportion of strawberries to rhubarb. Served with a big scoop of good vanilla ice-cream....it is really delicious.

Ingredients:
2 frozen pie crusts
3 cups of rhubarb cut into smallish pieces
1 cup of strawberries, halved
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons of quick cooking tapioca
1 tablespoon of lemon zest
pinch of salt

mix all of the ingredients together
fill one pie crust with the mixture
cover the mixture with the other pie crust, crimp the edges of the two crusts together and slice a few vents on the top
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes and then another 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees

No comments:

Post a Comment