Monday, June 18, 2007

Anyway Cafe

I am seriously behind on my posts, I still haven't put up the pictures from Good and Spoleto! So before Kashmira's housewarming this past Saturday, Amar and I went to the East Village to grab some dinner. On our way to Soba Ya, we spotted a cute restaurant with some outdoor seating on 2nd Street and 2nd Avenue called Anyway Cafe. The menu sounded pretty good and the words "crepe" and "cream sauce" lured us away from the noodle restaurant. So Anyway Cafe serves a odd combination of French and Russian food and has an impressive list of infused vodkas. The decor is...actually I'm not really sure because it was so dark in the restaurant that I couldn't see much of anything.

I ordered the Wild Mushroom Pelmeni - Pelmeni is the Russian version of Italian ravioli. The raviolis came in a runny, dark sauce (call the Anyway Special Sauce). It had a sour cabbage flavor, but with a hint of tangy sweetness as well. The Pelmeni lacked flavor, the ravioli skins were extremely slimey and slid down the back of my throat. The dish came out lukewarm, so I had to ask for the dish to be reheated. A cold dish REALLY kills the dining experience.

Amar got the Chicken Crepe w/ a light herb sauce, which was decent...at least better than mine. The crepes were a bit too soggy and spongy, so by the time I managed to coax a piece of crepe onto my fork, it looked like a sad, wet noodle. The chicken tasted fine, although not particularly fresh or tender.

Overall, it was a pretty below average meal. I would go back to try the vodka martinis, which sounded pretty tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment