Monday, March 12, 2007

Eggs and Polenta

I stole this recipe straight from the New York Times, and although my plating doesn't look as pretty as the picture from the newspaper, I still thought it tasted pretty good. The whole meal essentially cost about $1.50.

It's a combination of cheesy polenta, a fried egg and sauteed swiss chard. (I used to be a swiss-chard-a-phobe because of the swiss chard that the Smith dining halls cooked up were always kind of gross, but it's actually pretty good.) This meal is great for breakfast or dinner.

To make the swiss chard, just sautee the leafy greens w/ salt and garlic in olive oil for 5-10 minutes, until the leaves are soft.

To make the polenta:
Combine coarse corn meal (available in the Goya section of most supermarkets) and water in the ratio of 1:6...holy crap this is like the perfect GMAT math question: the ratio of cornmeal to water is 1:6, if 4 more cups of water are added to the mixture, the ratio is now 1:8. How many cups of water are in the original mixture? Yeahhh....can somebody please shoot me and put me out of my misery?
Anyhoo where was I....right, so combine the water and cornmeal, with a pinch of salt. Boil over medium heat, stir the mixture constantly so it doesn't all clump at the bottom. After 10 or 15 minutes, the mixture will thicken up and start to look like polenta. Add a few handfuls of grated parmesan or cheddar, what the hell, add blue cheese if you want to! It'll probably taste nasty though. And voila, you have made polenta.


No comments:

Post a Comment